The esteemed Jefferson Award honors volunteers throughout communities across America for their distinguished service. United Way of Greater Lima, Your Hometown Lima Stations, The Lima News and Husky Lima Refinery cooperatively bring you the Jefferson Awards. All awards applications should be returned to the address below.
The Jefferson Awards
c/o United Way of Greater Lima
616 South Collett Street
Lima, OH 45805
Click here to print an application.
Nomination Deadline is Wednesday, February 21, 2018 by 5:00 pm.
Jefferson Awards History
The Jefferson Awards for Public Service, originally known as The American Institute for Public Service, was founded in 1972 by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Senator Robert Taft, Jr. and Sam Beard. The Jefferson Awards establish a national recognition for, and encouragement of, outstanding community and public service.
Jefferson Awards are presented on both the local and national levels. At the local level, Jefferson Awards are presented to volunteers who do exceptional things without expecting recognition or reward. Previous local recipients who went on to the National Program include Estella Adams, Penny Daniels, Shannon Mitchell, Chris Jackson, Dan Endicott, Dr. Gene Wright, Andrea Mitchell, Sandy Monfort, Majorie Bryan, Timothy Macke and Randy Kohli.
Nationally, over 14,000 nominations are received year after year for local Jefferson Awards.
– Individuals of all ages may be nominated for the Jefferson Awards. Groups are not eligible, however, individuals from groups may be nominated. The exception is that married couples or two people who have worked closely on a project may be nominated. The volunteer work must be done in the following counties: Allen, Putnam, Van Wert, Auglaize, Hardin, or Hancock. The volunteer must reside in one of those six counties.
– Individuals are not eligible for cash awards.
– Cash awards must be made payable to qualifying non-profit organizations with a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, with the IRS or be a political subdivision of the state as described in 107(c)(1), such as a public school or government agency. If the organization for which the winner volunteers is not eligible for a cash award, another qualifying agency may be selected.
– Top eight winners are eligible for re-nomination 5 years after their original nomination.
– Volunteer service may be performed on work-release time or for student course credit.
If you have questions, please contact the United Way of Greater Lima at email@example.com .